Mr D’s Newsletter #456
Band Newsletter for Week of October 16, 2017
In This Issue:
- TMC Recap
- Texas Future Music Educators Meeting – Tuesday
- Band & Colorguard Parent Meeting
- The Final performance of THE WOODS
- Rehearsal Schedule
- Thursday Game Day Reminders
- Thursday Game Day Procedures
- Saturday Contest Day Reminders
- Saturday Contest Day Procedures
- Trip to Orlando
- Band and Guard Fees Past Due
- Official Stevens Band Calendar
- Concessions Sign-Up!
- Follow Us/Stay Connected
- Upcoming Events
The Sound could not do this without parent support. Chaperones & Flight Crew are absolutely incredible human beings. On behalf of the students, directors, and community – thank you for all you do. You’re the definition of Awesome & Amazing.
Congratulations to The Sound of Northside. You UNDOUBTEDLY earned your nickname this weekend!! Amazing performances and memories we’ll never forget… #PressBoxEnergy4Ever #FalconPride
- WHAT? – TFME is for any Stevens student that is interested in Music Education as a possible career, would like to learn more about Music Education, or just loves Music Education in general.
- WHO CAN JOIN? – Primarily band, orchestra, choir, guitar, music theory students
- MEETING LOCATION? – Orchestra Room, Tuesday at 8AM
- COST? – $25 cash due at the meeting on Tuesday at 8AM (no checks please)
- Dues cover TMEA Convention entrance & T-Shirt fees
- ACTIVITIES? –
- Middle School Region Mentoring Sessions
- College Panel discussion regarding admissions, auditions, and how music and remain a part of your life after high school. Dr. Matthew Mireles (St. Mary’s University Director of Bands) will be our college professor on this panel along with recent Stevens grads that are studying music throughout the country.
- Texas Music Educators Association Convention attendance in February (Excused School Business)
- San Antonio Symphony open rehearsal attendance in the spring and lunch at Spaghetti Warehouse.
- OTHER QUESTIONS? – Ask TFME officers Josh H, Lauren N, Jaedon P, or Isaiah Q or any music organization director.
- Hope to see MANY MANY Band students there!!!
BAND & COLORGUARD PARENT MEETING
This organization will continue to thrive and improve with the help of ALL of our wonderful parents and supporters in The Stevens Band Family. Please make some time to come on Tuesday night. See you there!!!
THE FINAL PERFORMANCE OF THE WOODS
UIL WEEK!! FINAL REHEARSALS OF THE WOODS!!!
For All Band & Colorguard Members:
- Monday 4:30PM-6:30PM
- Tuesday 4:30PM-6:30PM
- Wednesday 7:00AM-8:15AM
- Thursday 7:00AM-8:15AM (Game Night)
- Friday NO REHEARSAL
6 hours and 30 minutes of AM/PM rehearsal this week
THURSDAY GAME DAY REMINDERS
- Students must HYDRATE and EAT as instructed before games.
- Students may wear any black shirt and any athletic shorts under their uniform for this game.
- As always, edit your language, act maturely, and be smart.
- Food is NOT to be eaten in the stands nor on the bus at this game
- Clean Up Crew will take place on Thursday evening.
THURSDAY GAME DAY PROCEDURES
Thursday, October 19 vs. O’Connor at Gus Stadium at 7PM
***Eat a healthy breakfast and always drink water!!!***
- 6:50 am: Report to Band Hall wearing a white shirt, athletic shorts and shoes
- 7:00 am: Rehearsal begins outdoors
- 8:50 am: Resume your regular school day
- 3:30 pm: Report to the Band Hall (released from 8th period)
- 3:50 pm: Report to marching field (shorts, t-shirt)
- 4:40 pm: Rehearsal concludes
- 4:45 pm: Dinner provided
- 5:10 pm: Get dressed
- 5:30pm: Inspection in designated areas
- 5:45 pm: Board buses and depart for Gus Stadium (Home side)
- 6:30 pm: In stands ready for warm-up
- 7:00 pm: Kick-off
- 10:00 pm Approximate departure from Gus(TWEET)
- 10:20 pm: Approximate arrival at Stevens (TWEET)
- 10:50 pm: Band Hall CLOSES, ALL students gone from premises, go home, sleep, no morning or after school rehearsal on Friday.
SATURDAY CONTEST DAY REMINDERS
- Students must HYDRATE and EAT as instructed leading up to competitions.
- Students MUST wear THE WOODS show shirt and RED shorts to this event.
- Edit your language, act maturely, and be smart. You will be seen and heard by many at this event.
- Clean Up Crew will take place when we return from UIL. Please report to DMs and fulfill your responsibility.
SATURDAY CONTEST DAY PROCEDURES
Saturday, October 21 – UIL Marching Contest at Farris Stadium – Admission is FREE!!
- 5:00PM – Report to Band Hall, instruments are shiny!!
- 5:30PM – Rehearsal begins outdoors
- 6:20PM – Rehearsal concludes, inside, cool off, eat a healthy snack, get dressed
- 6:50PM – Inspection
- 7:15PM – Depart for Farris Stadium
- 7:45PM – Check in at contest site
- 8:05PM – Large Instruments, PC, Percussion to trailer
- 8:30PM – Warm-up
- 8:55PM – Move to performance area
- 9:15PM – THE SOUND gives their final performance of THE WOODS!
- 9:30PM – Ratings announced
- 9:45PM – Depart for SHS
- 10:15PM – Arrive @SHS, unload
- 10:45PM – Band Hall closed, The Woods is in the history books, so many wonderful memories.
#TheSoundOfNorthside #TheWoods #FalconPride #ItStartsHere
TRIP TO ORLANDO
Payment #2 of $175 is due October 15 (today!!).
- Go to https://www.charmsoffice.com/ and click on the blue Login button in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Login to the Charms system through the PARENTS/STUDENTS/MEMBERS area by entering the School Code of jpshsband. Hit the green button that says Enter Student/Parent Area.
- You will use 1 of the 3 options on this screen to enter your password:
- OPTION #1 – If the trip participant is a current Stevens Band Student, enter your Charms password under Student Area Password (Case Sensitive!). Click on Finances. Near the center of the screen, you will see an area that is titled Trip Ledger Detail. Click on the —–SELECT TRIP—– button and select 2018 Orlando Band Trip –Students. Click on the Make Trip Payment button and proceed to make a credit or debit card payment.
- OPTION #2 – If the trip participant is a Parent, Chaperone, or family member – you must first email Mr. D at firstname.lastname@example.org requesting your password. There is a separate account and password for every trip participant. Once you receive the email from Mr. D with your password, enter your Charms password under Trip Chaperone Password. Click on Trip Statement. You will see an area that is titled Chaperone Trip Statement. Click on the Select Trip to Pay button and select 2018 Orlando Band Trip –Chaperones. Click on the Make Trip Payment button and proceed to make a credit or debit card payment.
- OPTION #3 – Non-Parent Volunteer ID will not be used.
- You will see the amount you owe vary from students to non-student participants. This will change based on the number of participants staying in a room. We will discuss rooming lists at a later time, but if you know of someone you’d prefer to room with, begin discussing those possibilities with them.
- If you have any questions regarding the trip, please email email@example.com. It is going to be a blast!!
BAND & GUARD FEES PAST DUE
***PLEASE TAKE CARE OF THIS ITEM IN THE NEXT 24 HOURS
IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO!!***
***OUTSTANDING BALANCE WILL BE SUBMITTED TO ADMINISTRATION THIS WEEK***
***CASH, CHECK, OR MONEY ORDER CAN BE SENT TO THE BAND OFFICE***
***YOU MAY USE ONLINE PAYMENT OPTION BELOW***
- Go to www.charmsoffice.com
- Select LOGIN in upper right corner and login as a student
- Enter the school code of JPSHSBand
- Enter the student’s password (if you forgot password, email firstname.lastname@example.org and I will reset password to the student’s 6 digit NISD ID#)
- Once properly logged in, student’s name will appear in the upper right hand corner of the screen
- Select FINANCES at the top of the page
- Select Make Miscellaneous Payment
- Enter Amount being paid, Description is 2017-2018 Band Fees
- Proceed with PayPal transaction (you do not need a PayPal account to pay online, you may proceed as a guest)
- Email email@example.com if you have any questions regarding payment
OFFICIAL STEVENS BAND CALENDAR
CONCESSIONS SIGN UP!
Below is the link sign up today. Thanks for volunteering!!
- To the Alumni & Stevens Band Family members that drove to TMC to support The Sound! It was awesome to see you all!!
- To the Chaperones and Flight Crew– #iHaveNoWords #EternallyGrateful
- To Mr. Sabach for giving us Press Box Energy this week!
- To Brendan S, Zaret R, and Brock N (all freshmen!!!) for learning so much drill this week to fill in the holes!!! #FalconPride
FOLLOW US/STAY CONNECTED
- RECEIVE UPDATES VIA TEXT MESSAGE –
- Open the texting app on your phone
- Text to this phone number: 40404
- Message must be: FOLLOW NISDstevensband(follow in upper case, make sure there is a space between FOLLOW and NISDstevensband)
- BAND WEBSITE – www.jpshsband.org
- OFFICIAL STEVENS BAND CALENDAR – http://www.jpshsband.org/charms-calendar/
- FACEBOOK – www.facebook.com/jpsfalconband
- TWITTER – www.twitter.com/NISDstevensband
- INSTAGRAM – https://www.instagram.com/shs_thesound/?hl=en
- EMAIL – firstname.lastname@example.org
- SUBCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER – http://jpshsband.us13.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=64bb707bd79613042f9be786e&id=81aebdbbdf
OCT 17 – TFME Meeting at 8:00AM in ORCH
OCT 17 – Band & Colorguard Parents Meeting at 7:00PM in the LBH
OCT 19 – TNL vs. O’Connor at 7:00PM @GUS
OCT 21 – UIL Marching Contest @FARRIS – Final performance of THE WOODS
OCT 23 – ***No marching rehearsal this week, No game this week***
OCT 24 & 26 – Band and Colorguard pictures taken during classes (look pretty)
***OFFICIAL STEVENS BAND CALENDAR – http://www.jpshsband.org/charms-calendar/
See ya soon 🙂 –