Mr D’s Newsletter #458
Band Newsletter for Week of October 30, 2017
In This Issue:
- TMEA All-District Auditions
- All-District Mock Audition
- Beverage Fundraiser!!!
- Concessions Event HELP NEEDED!
- Wind Ensemble early rehearsals
- View Band and Colorguard pictures online
- TFME Middle School Region Mentoring Recap
- Marching Band Rehearsal Schedule
- Thursday Game Day Reminders
- Thursday Game Day Procedures
- Trip to Orlando
- Band and Guard Fees Past Due
- Official Stevens Band Calendar
- Follow Us/Stay Connected
- Upcoming Events
The Band Directors will be intensely listening to students play this music individually over the next couple of days. The Band Directors will determine if a student has prepared enough to enter this audition process by the end of the day on Wednesday November 1. This is the deadline for directors to enter students into the audition process.
9th grade students may A.) opt to enter in the All-District Audition listed above, or B.) audition for the Freshman Region Band in December. Most 9th graders choose option B which gives them a little more prep time. Mr. Taylor has discussed this process with the freshmen band students at great lengths. Many have been preparing the music since the beginning of the school year.
The process of preparing music for these auditions has improved the level of performance at Stevens a great deal. A student that enters the program knowing a few scales and in need of tone development can gain a great deal of facility and knowledge from preparing these pieces. We do not “force” students to audition in the All-State process. We know that a great deal of them look forward to this audition and are preparing well. Over the next few week, we want to make sure Team Stevens is going to represent the Falcon Band, SHS, and all of Northside in tremendous fashion as always…start practicing!!! #GoTeamStevens
The fundraiser is simple – just buy and/or sell the beverages listed on the form by taking orders from various individuals that you know. It’s a great time to stock up on 20 oz. bottles of soda, water, tea, and other products listed on the form. The more we buy or sell, the more money the Stevens Band makes.
If all students sell this fundraiser will be a great success. We are in need of funds for the future. The plans to purchase an 18 wheeler trailer have been approved and we have to fund that purchase. This beverage fundraiser will help our cause a great deal if we all pitch in. Let’s get on this!!
- Order forms and money due Thursday November 9 (cash or checks made payable to Stevens Band)
- Beverages are delivered to SHS on Tuesday November 14 (Band/Colorguard Parent Meeting that evening)
***THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!***
CONCESSIONS EVENT HELP NEEDED!
WHO?: 4-6 volunteers needed!!!
WHAT?: Stevens Boosters need help running concessions at a basketball tournament
WHEN?: Saturday 11/4 from 8:30AM-12PM
WHERE?: Harlan High School Gymnasium 14250 Culebra Rd.
***Please help out Stevens Band Family!!!***
Below is the link sign up today. Thanks for volunteering!!
Picture purchasing is optional. Any questions regarding purchasing or the actual pictures should be address toward Front Page Photography.
A HUGE Thank You to all the TFME mentors that gave their time to help our Future Falcons from Pease and Vale last Wednesday. Your help goes a long way in our middle schoolers preparation for their All-Region audition process. I cannot tell you how proud we are. Your band directors sincerely thank you!!!
Wednesday is the only full morning rehearsal this week. We will perform and altered Fun Show at the game on Thursday and will learn this show Wednesday morning and review it Thursday morning before the pep rally. Students must attend or they will not go on the field Thursday night.
For All Band & Colorguard Members:
- Monday NO AM/PM REHEARSAL
- Tuesday NO AM/PM REHEARSAL
- Wednesday 7:00AM-8:35AM (Late Start, classes begin at 9:05AM)
- Thursday 7:00AM-7:45AM (Pep Rally, Game Night)
- Friday NO AM/PM REHEARSAL
2 hours and 20 minutes of AM/PM rehearsal this week
Marching Band Rehearsals for ALL BAND AND COLORGUARD STUDENTS and are an extension of the class. Students are assigned grades for attendance and participation at these rehearsals. Please be on time and prepared with proper outdoor attire, hydrapack, and necessary equipment at all rehearsals.
THURSDAY GAME DAY REMINDERS
- Students must HYDRATE and EAT as instructed before games.
- Students wear THE WOODS show shirt and RED shorts under their uniform for this game.
- As always, edit your language, act maturely, and be smart.
- Food is NOT to be eaten in the stands nor on the bus.
- Clean Up Crew will take place on Thursday evening.
THURDAY GAME DAY PROCEDURES
Thursday, November 2 vs. Jay at Gus Stadium at 7PM
***Eat a healthy breakfast and always drink water!!!***
- 6:50 am: Report to Band Hall wearing RED JERSEY, JEANS, & ATHLETIC SHOES
- 7:00 am: Rehearsal begins outdoors
- 7:45 am: Head to Pep Rally
- 8:50 am: Resume your regular school day
- 4:15 pm: Report to marching field (shorts, t-shirt)
- 4:45 pm: Rehearsal concludes
- 4:50 pm: Dinner provided
- 5:20 pm: Get dressed
- 5:40pm: Inspection in designated areas
- 5:55 pm: Board buses and depart for Gus Stadium (Home side)
- 6:30 pm: In stands ready for warm-up
- 7:00 pm: Kick-off
- 10:00 pm Approximate departure from Gus(TWEET)
- 10:20 pm: Approximate arrival at Stevens (TWEET)
- 10:50 pm: Band Hall CLOSES, ALL students gone from premises, go home, sleep, no morning or after school rehearsal on Friday.
TRIP TO ORLANDO
***All trip participants should have made a $200 deposit in May, a $175 payment in September, and a $175 payment in October. If you are participating and are not caught up on these payments, please make your balances current. Thank you. – Mr. D
- Go to https://www.charmsoffice.com/ and click on the blue Login button in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Login to the Charms system through the PARENTS/STUDENTS/MEMBERS area by entering the School Code of jpshsband. Hit the green button that says Enter Student/Parent Area.
- You will use 1 of the 3 options on this screen to enter your password:
- OPTION #1 – If trip participant is a current Stevens Band Student, enter your Charms password under Student Area Password (Case Sensitive!). Click on Finances. Near the center of the screen you will see an area that is titled Trip Ledger Detail. Click on the —–SELECT TRIP—– button and select 2018 Orlando Band Trip –Students. Click on the Make Trip Payment button and proceed to make a credit or debit card payment.
- OPTION #2 – If trip participant is a Parent, Chaperone, or family member – you must first email Mr. D at email@example.com requesting your password. There is a separate account and password for every trip participant. Once you receive the email from Mr. D with your password, enter your Charms password under Trip Chaperone Password. Click on Trip Statement. You will see an area that is titled Chaperone Trip Statement. Click on the Select Trip to Pay button and select 2018 Orlando Band Trip –Chaperones. Click on the Make Trip Payment button and proceed to make a credit or debit card payment.
- OPTION #3 – Non-Parent Volunteer ID will not be used.
- You will see the amount you owe vary from students to non-student participants. This will change based on the number of participants staying in a room. We will discuss rooming lists at a later time, but if you know of someone you’d prefer to room with, begin discussing those possibilities with them.
- If you have any questions regarding the trip, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. It is going to be a blast!!
BAND & GUARD FEES PAST DUE
***I will email updated receipts and balances this week. Please complete your band fee payments
by taking care of any past due balances. Thank you. – Mr. D***
- Go to www.charmsoffice.com
- Select LOGIN in upper right corner and login as a student
- Enter the school code of JPSHSBand
- Enter the student’s password (if you forgot password, email email@example.com and I will reset password to the student’s 6 digit NISD ID#)
- Once properly logged in, student’s name will appear in the upper right hand corner of the screen
- Select FINANCES at the top of the page
- Select Make Miscellaneous Payment
- Enter Amount being paid, Description is 2017-2018 Band Fees
- Proceed with PayPal transaction (you do not need a PayPal account to pay online, you may proceed as a guest)
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions regarding payment
OFFICIAL STEVENS BAND CALENDAR
- To the Drumline for performing at Murnin ES before school this past Friday!! #WTG
- To Mr. Pena and Mr. Ward for traveling to Laredo last Sunday to look at an 18 wheeler trailer for The Sound!! We’re getting closer…
- To all TFME Region Mentors for their work with the middle school students this past Wednesday!! Great job!
FOLLOW US/STAY CONNECTED
- RECEIVE UPDATES VIA TEXT MESSAGE –
- Open the texting app on your phone
- Text to this phone number: 40404
- Message must be: FOLLOW NISDstevensband(follow in upper case, make sure there is a space between FOLLOW and NISDstevensband)
- BAND WEBSITE – www.jpshsband.org
- OFFICIAL STEVENS BAND CALENDAR – http://www.jpshsband.org/charms-calendar/
- FACEBOOK – www.facebook.com/jpsfalconband
- TWITTER – www.twitter.com/NISDstevensband
- INSTAGRAM – https://www.instagram.com/shs_thesound/?hl=en
- EMAIL – email@example.com
- SUBCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER – http://jpshsband.us13.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=64bb707bd79613042f9be786e&id=81aebdbbdf
NOV 1 – Marching Band rehearsal @7AM
NOV 2 – Senior Pep Rally Day @7AM
NOV 2 – Football vs. John Jay @7PM @GUS
NOV 6 – All-District Mock Audition @4:30 @SHS (All-District & Freshmen Region participants only)
NOV 9 – Fine Arts Veteran’s Day Program (Wind Ensemble & Jazz Bands) @7PM in AUD
NOV 9 – Beverage Fundraiser orders and $$$ is due (cash or checks to Stevens Band)
NOV 10 – Wind Ensemble Veteran’s Day Program for Adam’s Hill ES @9AM (<–Ale & Mr. P)
NOV 10/11 – Football Game (if we beat Jay, game is on Friday, if we lose to Jay, game is on Saturday)
NOV 14 – Beverage Fundraiser products delivered (afternoon/evening pick up)
NOV 14 – Band & Colorguard Parent Meeting @7PM in LBH
NOV 15/16 – TMEA District Band Auditions at Warren HS @5PM
NOV 18-26 – Thanksgiving Break!!!
***OFFICIAL STEVENS BAND CALENDAR – http://www.jpshsband.org/charms-calendar/
See ya soon 🙂 –