Mr D’s Newsletter #461
Band Newsletter for Week of November 27, 2017
In This Issue:
- All-District Band Auditions Recap – SUCCESS!!
- All-Region Band In Class Performances
- All-Region Band Auditions – Participants
- All-Region Band Auditions – Volunteers
- Wind Ensemble Morning Rehearsals
- Winterguard Rehearsals
- Concessions Sign Up!
- Trip to Orlando
- Official Stevens Band Calendar
- Follow Us/Stay Connected
- Upcoming Events
ALL-DISTRICT BAND AUDITIONS RECAP – SUCCESS!!
A HUGE congratulations to all 49 of our students that auditioned at the TMEA All-District Band Auditions on November 15 & 16. The directors and masterclass instructors have made a push like never before to promote this activity and the students have responded in record fashion! Stevens has 30 band students advancing to the All-Region Auditions to be held at SHS on December 1 & 2!!! Here is a list of the advancing students and their chair placement among NISD band students from all 11 high schools. #GoTeamStevens
Carmen G – 2
Andrea L – 3
Brianna W – 5
Rachel M – 3
Sascha C – 13
Carolina M – 22
Katalina A – 25
Lauren N – 28
Josh H – 2
Kenedy L – 9
Demetrius B – 22
Dayna P – 23
Mercedes G – 36
DeMarcus S – 5
Jax G – 3
Matthew N – 1ST!
Arturo C – 12
Raul V – 2
Isaiah M – 2
Kenedy C – 16
Noah H – 31
Brendan N – 4
Eric M – 10
Dylan T – 7
Nathaniel L – 8
Alejandro P – 1ST!
Luis C – 10
Jacob V – 5
Joaquin G – 6
Christian C – 13
The preparation for this level of competition requires a great deal of time and effort and the rewards will prove to be invaluable beyond these auditions. The Stevens Band takes a No-Nonsense approach to these auditions. We don’t prepare to simply “audition for the experience”. All 49 auditioning students exhibited a great deal of pride in their prepared performance, they carried themselves with dignity and respect throughout the process, and they were all prepared to perform at the their highest level in their audition. Kudos to all of our auditionees for representing Stevens with great pride and congrats to these 30 TMEA All-District Band qualifiers!! Best of luck at Region this coming week!!! #GoTeamStevens #ItStartsHere
ALL-REGION BAND IN CLASS PERFORMANCES
For the 30 qualifiers – The number of people auditioning in your room will be smaller and their preparation will be much better than you heard at All-District. You have practiced over the break and you will be ready. Students will perform 1 entire etude of their choosing for their band class on the following days in this order:
MONDAY – Mercedes G, Katalina A, Dylan T, DeMarcus S, Arturo C
TUESDAY – Luis C, Noah H, Andrea L, Demetrius B
WEDNESDAY – Kenedy C, Jax G, Carolina M, Dayna P, Joaquin G, Brianna W, Lauren N
THURSDAY – Jacob V, Nathaniel L, Raul V, Sascha C, Mercedes G
FRIDAY – Alejandro P, Brendan N, Matthew N, Rachel M, Carmen G, Kenedy L, Christian C, Josh H
ALL-REGION BAND AUDITIONS – PARTICIPANTS
Freshmen Audition – 18 freshmen have prepared and have been entered in the Freshmen Region Band Audition on Friday December 1 at Stevens High School!! Kudos to these students for their efforts!! Mr. Taylor must hear you play your etudes by this Thursday (before or after school beginning Monday morning). Come into the office and find him or set up a time tomorrow.
All-District Qualifiers – Your audition will take place on Saturday December 2 at Stevens High School. Check in time will be at 8am in the foyer. Access to the band hall will be available until 8am only. Please plan appropriately. More specifics will be covered in class.
ALL-REGION BAND VOLUNTEERS
Parent help: We are in need of 10-12 adult volunteers to help with room monitoring, concessions, hospitality, and other tasks on Friday evening and/or Saturday. You will be trained and instructed on how to monitor and carry out any task that you are assigned. If you completed your Criminal History Authorization earlier in the year, you are good to go. All you need is a Stevens Band shirt and a positive attitude 🙂 Please email email@example.com or contact David Pena to volunteer. Thank you for your help, it is truly appreciated.
Student help: We are asking band students to volunteer to help this coming weekend with Region Band Auditions (don’t sign up on your audition day). We will have a sign up sheet for shifts beginning Friday afternoon, Saturday morning, and Saturday early afternoon. TFME/NHS students will receive service hours for helping at this event. Thanks in advance!
WIND ENSEMBLE MORNING REHEARSALS
Wind Ensemble will begin rehearsals at various times this week. With recent prep for our Veteran’s Day Concert and All-Region auditions, we need a bit more time to prepare our Christmas Concert program. Please make arrangements to begin rehearsal at the following times this week.
- Monday – 8:30AM
- Tuesday – 8:30AM
- Wednesday – 8:30AM
- Thursday – 8:00AM (earlier due to masterclasses)
- Friday – 8:50AM (1st period)
It has begun! Winterguard is HERE! Below is the after school rehearsal schedule for this week. A complete listing of rehearsals and staging camps can be found on the OFFICIAL STEVENS BAND CALENDAR. Click the link below. All rehearsals are an extension of the class and will be assigned a grade.
- Monday – JV 5PM-8PM
- Tuesday – Varsity 5PM-8PM
- Wednesday – JV 5PM-8PM
- Thursday – Varsity 5PM-8PM
- Friday – NO AFTER SCHOOL REHEARSAL
- Saturday – JV 11AM-3PM (NO BAND HALL ACCESS ON THIS DAY DUE TO REGION AUDITIONS)
- Saturday – Varsity 4PM-8PM (NO BAND HALL ACCESS ON THIS DAY DUE TO REGION AUDITIONS)
CONCESSIONS SIGN UP!
NISD Concessions work is on going! We have basketball events that need volunteers in early December. Below is the link sign up today. Thanks for volunteering!!
TRIP TO ORLANDO
***4TH PAYMENT SHOULD HAVE BEEN MADE! PLEASE MAKE YOUR BALANCES CURRENT!! THANK YOU***
- Go to https://www.charmsoffice.com/ and click on the blue Login button in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Login to the Charms system through the PARENTS/STUDENTS/MEMBERS area by entering the School Code of jpshsband. Hit the green button that says Enter Student/Parent Area.
- You will use 1 of the 3 options on this screen to enter your password:
- OPTION #1 – If trip participant is a current Stevens Band Student, enter your Charms password under Student Area Password (Case Sensitive!). Click on Finances. Near the center of the screen you will see an area that is titled Trip Ledger Detail. Click on the —–SELECT TRIP—– button and select 2018 Orlando Band Trip –Students. Click on the Make Trip Payment button and proceed to make a credit or debit card payment.
- OPTION #2 – If trip participant is a Parent, Chaperone, or family member – you must first email Mr. D at firstname.lastname@example.org requesting your password. There is a separate account and password for every trip participant. Once you receive the email from Mr. D with your password, enter your Charms password under Trip Chaperone Password. Click on Trip Statement. You will see an area that is titled Chaperone Trip Statement. Click on the Select Trip to Pay button and select 2018 Orlando Band Trip –Chaperones. Click on the Make Trip Payment button and proceed to make a credit or debit card payment.
- OPTION #3 – Non-Parent Volunteer ID will not be used.
- You will see the amount you owe vary from students to non-student participants. This will change based on the number of participants staying in a room. We will discuss rooming lists at a later time, but if you know of someone you’d prefer to room with, begin discussing those possibilities with them.
- If you have any questions regarding the trip, please email email@example.com. It is going to be a blast!!
OFFICIAL STEVENS BAND CALENDAR
- To the All-Region Auditionees that came to practice in the Band Hall voluntarily over the break! #HardWorkPaysOff
- To all the other students that took their horns home and practiced over the break! #WeKnowWhoDidnt #MrsAlvardoCheckedLockers
- To Mr. & Mrs. Casiano for a beautiful wedding!! #NewlyWeds 🙂
FOLLOW US/STAY CONNECTED
- RECEIVE UPDATES VIA TEXT MESSAGE –
- Open the texting app on your phone
- Text to this phone number: 40404
- Message must be: FOLLOW NISDstevensband(follow in upper case, make sure there is a space between FOLLOW and NISDstevensband)
- BAND WEBSITE – www.jpshsband.org
- OFFICIAL STEVENS BAND CALENDAR – http://www.jpshsband.org/charms-calendar/
- FACEBOOK – www.facebook.com/jpsfalconband
- TWITTER – www.twitter.com/NISDstevensband
- INSTAGRAM – https://www.instagram.com/shs_thesound/?hl=en
- EMAIL – firstname.lastname@example.org
- SUBCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER – http://jpshsband.us13.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=64bb707bd79613042f9be786e&id=81aebdbbdf
DEC 1 – Freshmen Region Band Auditions @SHS
DEC 2 – TMEA 6A All-Region Band Auditions @SHS (for students advancing past All-District)
DEC 4 – Jazz Band Christmas Concert @7PM in AUD
DEC 8-9 – Region Orchestra Clinic & Concert @SHS (for qualifying students)
DEC 11 – Band Christmas Concert @7PM in AUD
DEC 12 – Band Holiday Social for Students & Parents 6PM – 8PM (Students in LBH, Parent Potluck in SBH 🙂
***OFFICIAL STEVENS BAND CALENDAR – http://www.jpshsband.org/charms-calendar/
See ya soon 🙂 –