Mr D’s Newsletter #462
Band Newsletter for Week of December 4, 2017
In This Issue:
- All-Region Band Auditions Recap – MORE SUCCESS!!
- All-Region Orchestra Rehearsal and Performance THIS WEEK!
- Jazz Christmas Concert – MONDAY!
- Band Council Meeting – MONDAY!
- Wind Ensemble Morning Rehearsals
- Winterguard Rehearsals
- Concessions Sign Up!
- Trip to Orlando
- Official Stevens Band Calendar
- Follow Us/Stay Connected
- Upcoming Events
ALL-REGION BAND AUDITIONS RECAP – MORE SUCCESS!!
Another HUGE congratulations to all 47 of our students that auditioned at the TMEA All-Region & Freshmen Region Band Auditions this past Friday & Saturday. It has been said time and time again in our band hall that hard work pays off. This past weekend is just one of the many times that this has proven true for the Stevens Band! Below is a list of the students earning chairs in the All-Region Band, All-Region Orchestra, and All-Area qualifiers and their chair placement among NISD band students from all 11 high schools. All-Area qualifiers will Audition in Austin on January 13 for a chance to become a TMEA 6A All-State Band member!!! #GoTeamStevens
Carmen G – 3rd chair, All-Region Concert Band
Andrea L – Alternate, All-Region Concert Band
Rachel M – 3rd chair, All-Region Concert Band
Sascha C – 10th chair, All-Region Concert Band
Carolina M – 16th chair, All-Region Concert Band
Daniel T – 6th chair, Freshmen Region Band
Josh H – 12th chair, All-Region Concert Band
Demetrius B – 14th chair, All-Region Concert Band
Dayna P – 15th chair, All-Region Concert Band
Kenedy L – 16th chair, All-Region Concert Band
Haley G – 6th chair, Freshmen Region Band
Juanita V – 14th chair, Freshmen Region Band
Mayleane R – Alternate, Freshmen Region Band
DeMarcus S – 7th chair, All-Region Concert Band
Jax G – 5th chair, All-Region Concert Band
Matthew N – 1ST CHAIR, All-Area Honor Band, All-Region Orchestra
Juan M – Alternate, Freshmen Region Band
Raul V – 2nd Chair, All-Area Honor Band
Noah H – 17th chair, All-Region Concert Band
Asia M – 6th chair, Freshmen Region Band
Alan V – Alternate, Freshmen Region Band
Eric M – 2nd chair, All-Area Honor Band, All-Region Orchestra
Brendan N – 3rd chair, All-Area Honor Band, All-Region Orchestra
Dylan T – 7th chair, All-Area Honor Band
Benecio S – 5th chair, Freshmen Region Band
Nathaniel L – Alternate, All-Region Concert Band
Daniel M – 3rd chair, Freshmen Region Band
Alejandro P – 1ST CHAIR, All-Area Honor Band, All-Region Orchestra
Luis C – 7th chair, All-Region Concert Band
Christian C – 3rd chair, All-Area Honor Band, All-Region Orchestra
Joaquin G – 11th chair, All-Region Concert Band
Jacob V – Alternate, All-Region Concert Band
The Directors, Masterclass Teachers, and the Stevens Band Family share in the joy and success that all these students are experiencing. We are so happy for them and proud of their accomplishments. More details to come regarding All-Region Rehearsals and All-Area performances and auditions. Way To Go!!!!! #GoTeamStevens #ItStartsHere
ALL-REGION ORCHESTRA REHEARSAL AND PERFORMANCE THIS WEEK!
- Matt, Eric, Brendan, & Alejandro – rehearsal is at O’Connor on TUESDAY 12/5 from 6:00PM-8PM
- Christian – rehearsal is at Stevens on TUESDAY 12/5 from 6:00PM-8PM in the SBH
FRIDAY & SATURDAY – All-Region Orchestra students will rehearse and perform at Stevens. Concert will be Saturday in the Stevens Auditorium (free admission, open to the public). Students will receive a folder with music on Monday. The folder contains information including Saturday’s performance times. Congrats and represent SHS with pride! #GoTeamStevens
JAZZ CHRISTMAS CONCERT – MONDAY!
Jazz Band I & Jazz Band II will begin our Christmas Concert performances on Monday 12/4 at 7:00PM in the Stevens Auditorium. Admission is free and is open to the public. The concert will run about 45 minutes and feature students in our Jazz Band classes that meet during 7th period. Band students attending as audience members will receive some extra credit if they get a director’s signature on their program. We hope to see a full house for some Christmas Jazz!!
BAND COUNCIL MEETING – MONDAY!
President Narvaez has called a Band Co. meeting on Monday 12/4 at 4:20PM in the SBH. This meeting will cover logistics and planning for the upcoming Band Holiday Social on Tuesday 12/12 from 6:00PM-8PM. It goes without saying that this event will not happen without full student involvement and participation from all members of the Leadership Team. We’ll see you all tomorrow at 4:20!
WIND ENSEMBLE MORNING REHEARSALS
Wind Ensemble will have 3 rehearsals at 8:30AM this week. These rehearsals are an extension of the classroom and are graded based on attendance and preparedness. Please make arrangements to begin rehearsal at the following times this week.
- Monday – 8:50AM (1st period)
- Tuesday – 8:30AM
- Wednesday – 8:50AM (1st period)
- Thursday – 8:30AM (no masterclasses this week)
- Friday – 8:30AM
Below is the after school rehearsal schedule for this week. A complete listing of rehearsals and staging camps can be found on the OFFICIAL STEVENS BAND CALENDAR. Click the link below. All rehearsals are an extension of the class and will be assigned a grade.
- Monday – JV 5PM-8PM
- Tuesday – Varsity 5PM-8PM
- Wednesday – JV 5PM-8PM
- Thursday – Varsity 5PM-8PM
- Friday – NO AFTER SCHOOL REHEARSAL
CONCESSIONS SIGN UP!
NISD Concessions work is on going! We have basketball events that need volunteers in early December. Below is the link sign up today. Thanks for volunteering!!
TRIP TO ORLANDO
***4TH PAYMENT SHOULD HAVE BEEN MADE! PLEASE MAKE YOUR BALANCES CURRENT!! THANK YOU***
- Go to https://www.charmsoffice.com/ and click on the blue Login button in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Login to the Charms system through the PARENTS/STUDENTS/MEMBERS area by entering the School Code of jpshsband. Hit the green button that says Enter Student/Parent Area.
- You will use 1 of the 3 options on this screen to enter your password:
- OPTION #1 – If trip participant is a current Stevens Band Student, enter your Charms password under Student Area Password (Case Sensitive!). Click on Finances. Near the center of the screen you will see an area that is titled Trip Ledger Detail. Click on the —–SELECT TRIP—– button and select 2018 Orlando Band Trip –Students. Click on the Make Trip Payment button and proceed to make a credit or debit card payment.
- OPTION #2 – If trip participant is a Parent, Chaperone, or family member – you must first email Mr. D at email@example.com requesting your password. There is a separate account and password for every trip participant. Once you receive the email from Mr. D with your password, enter your Charms password under Trip Chaperone Password. Click on Trip Statement. You will see an area that is titled Chaperone Trip Statement. Click on the Select Trip to Pay button and select 2018 Orlando Band Trip –Chaperones. Click on the Make Trip Payment button and proceed to make a credit or debit card payment.
- OPTION #3 – Non-Parent Volunteer ID will not be used.
- You will see the amount you owe vary from students to non-student participants. This will change based on the number of participants staying in a room. We will discuss rooming lists at a later time, but if you know of someone you’d prefer to room with, begin discussing those possibilities with them.
- If you have any questions regarding the trip, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. It is going to be a blast!!
OFFICIAL STEVENS BAND CALENDAR
- To our Awesome and Amazing Band Parents that came through BIG TIME to help with All-Region Monitoring, Concessions, & Hospitality!! Everything was as smooth as melted butter 🙂 #YouAllAreTheBest
- Monitoring – Mrs. Holstein, Mrs. Cortez, Mrs. Simpson, Mrs. Champion (alumni grand parent), Mrs. Jasso, Mrs. Branch, Mrs. Dominguez (alumni parent & NISD Middle School Director), Mrs. Hussey (NISD Middle School Director), & Mrs. Hirota (NISD Middle School Director)
- Concessions – Mr. & Mrs. Poundstone, Mr. Pena, Mr. & Mrs. Wyss
- Hospitality & Folder Distribution – Mrs. Partain (alumni parent)
- To ALL the students that volunteered for set up, monitoring, tear down, and all the other odds and ends that made the All-Region auditions run perfectly! Our students make this band program the best in NISD and their willingness to volunteer makes our jobs so much easier. #ThankYou
FOLLOW US/STAY CONNECTED
- RECEIVE UPDATES VIA TEXT MESSAGE –
- Open the texting app on your phone
- Text to this phone number: 40404
- Message must be: FOLLOW NISDstevensband(follow in upper case, make sure there is a space between FOLLOW and NISDstevensband)
- BAND WEBSITE – www.jpshsband.org
- OFFICIAL STEVENS BAND CALENDAR – http://www.jpshsband.org/charms-calendar/
- FACEBOOK – www.facebook.com/jpsfalconband
- TWITTER – www.twitter.com/NISDstevensband
- INSTAGRAM – https://www.instagram.com/shs_thesound/?hl=en
- EMAIL – email@example.com
- SUBCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER – http://jpshsband.us13.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=64bb707bd79613042f9be786e&id=81aebdbbdf
DEC 4 – Band Council Meeting @4:20PM in SBH
DEC 4 – Jazz Band Christmas Concert @7PM in AUD
DEC 5 – Region Orchestra Sectionals @6PM @OC & SHS
DEC 8-9 – Region Orchestra Clinic & Concert @SHS (for qualifying students)
DEC 11 – Band Christmas Concert @7PM in AUD
DEC 12 – Band Holiday Social for Students & Parents 6PM – 8PM (Students in LBH, Parent Potluck in SBH 🙂
DEC 19 – TFME College Panel Meeting @4:30PM in SBH
***More dates and details on the OFFICIAL STEVENS BAND CALENDAR – http://www.jpshsband.org/charms-calendar/
See ya soon 🙂 –